Agua fresca is a light fruit drink popular throughout Mexico. It’s simply made by blending fruit with water, a bit of sugar and a little lime juice. Begin with sweet, juicy melon, or your agua fresca won’t have much flavor.
- 4 cups diced, peeled ripe watermelon or cantaloupe
- 3 cups water
- 2 to 3 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Blend together the watermelon or cantaloupe with 1 1/2 cups of the water, the lime juice and the sugar at high speed until smooth. Strain through a medium strainer into a large pitcher or bowl. Stir in the remaining water. Refrigerate for 1 hour or longer. Fill a glass with ice, pour in the agua fresca, garnish with a mint sprig, and serve.
Yield: Four servings.
* Stir an additional cup of finely chopped fruit into the strained blended drink and refrigerate for 1 hour or longer.
* For the watermelon version, add 4 hulled strawberries.
* Mango or Pineapple Agua Fresca: substitute mango or pineapple for the melon.